A Brief History of Edgewood Assembly of God
Edgewood Assembly of God was organized in 1948 under a tent off of Macon Road with nine charter members (2 are still living). A few weeks later due to parking problems the church was moved to a metal warehouse on the corner of 7th Street and Brown Avenue.
In 1949 a house was purchased near Buena Vista Road and Brown Avenue. This house was remodeled and an addition was added. The church worshiped at this location until 1958 when the property was sold and Edgewood moved to it's present location on Morris Road.
The following are highlights:
1968: The church constructed a 44' x 62' addition behind the existing church. This was used for a Day Care Center, Sunday School rooms and Church Offices. During this year the house adjacent to the church was purchased.
1972: Buena Vista Road Assembly of God merged with Edgewood Assembly of God.
1984: Several Sunday School rooms were built and the fellowship hall was enlarged.
1988: Our present sanctuary was built (60 x 106), and the old sanctuary was converted into our present office complex, Sunday School and Choir Room.
1997: A 40' x 60' addition was added to our present fellowship hall. This room was used for Children's/Youth ministries. Also, a covered walkway from the sanctuary to the fellowship hall was installed.
2004: Development went underway for a Student Ministries Center in the back area of the church. This building is currently being used for Children's Church, Student Ministries, and various other gatherings.
The following have Pastored Edgewood Assembly of God:
1948 - 1958: Rev. W. A. D. Hill
1958 - 1967: Rev. J. D. Stevens
1967 - 1968: Rev. Michael Lord
1968 - 1970: Rev. Lamar Taylor
1970 - 1971: Rev. Horace Chapman
1971 - 1973: Rev. Glynn Grantham
1973 - 1974: Rev. Henry Hughey
1974 - 1979: Rev. Chuck Morris
1979 - 1980: Rev. Tommy Karr
1981 - Present: Rev. Charles Hays
The Assemblies of God grew out of the Pentecostal revival, which began in the early 1900s in places such as Topeka, Kansas, and the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. During times of prayer and Bible study, believers received spiritual experiences like those described in the book of Acts. Accompanied by “speaking in tongues,” their religious experiences were associated with the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Jewish feast of Pentecost (Acts 2), and participants in the movement were dubbed “Pentecostals.” The Pentecostal movement has grown from a handful of Bible school students in Topeka, Kansas, to an estimated 600 million in the world today.
Many participants who were baptized in the Holy Spirit during revivals and camp meetings in the early 1900s were not welcomed back to their former churches. These believers started many small churches throughout the country and communicated through publications that reported on the revivals. In 1913, a Pentecostal publication, the Word and Witness, called for the independent churches to band together for the purpose of fellowship and doctrinal unity. Other concerns for facilitating missionaries, chartering churches and forming a Bible training school were also on the agenda.
Some 300 Pentecostals met at an opera house in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1914, and agreed to form a new fellowship of loosely knit independent churches. These churches were left with the needed autonomy to develop and govern their own local ministries, yet they were united in their message and efforts to reach the world for Christ. So began the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
Assemblies of God churches form a cooperative fellowship. As a result, the organization operates from the grass roots, allowing the local church to choose and develop ministries and facilities best suited for its local needs.